Monday, November 21, 2011

"You're making old person muffins?"

In case you couldn't tell, I'm making a bit of an effort to start updating sort of regularly again. I'm not going to promise any sort of schedule, because this blog is supposed to be for fun, and schedules stress me out. I'll be sharing a lot of older stuff for a while- stuff I made and didn't share because I was too lazy to type.

These may be the first muffins I've made that I didn't like.

I made these thinking that I wouldn't really like them. Hoping, but thinking 'wow, these certainly sound... interesting, I hope they're good...' Mama Bird looked at the recipe and assured me that if I didn't like them, she'd eat them. So I decided to be brave and to try it. I like new food, right?



They don't even really look good.

I tried to like them, and I did eat two before I gave up and declared that they were all for Mama Bird. She did eat them all, to her credit, but I don't know how she did it. I'll be sticking to sweeter muffins from now on.

Recipe from Teaspot NYC.
  • 2 cups applesauce
  • 2 ounces dates
  • 1 cup wheat bran
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 3/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5/8 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 1.25 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
    1. Preheat oven to 375.
    2. Heat applesauce and dates over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is reduced to about 1.25 cups, or 15-20 minutes.
    3. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
    4. Transfer applesauce to bowl, and mix in bran, buttermilk, egg, honey, ginger, and vanilla.
    5. In separate bowl, mix flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt, allspice, and 1/4 cup oats.
    6. After letting stand for 10 minutes, mix ingredients together.
    7. Transfer batter into muffin tins.
    8. Bake 20-23 minutes.

    Makes 12 muffins, with 90 calories and $0.43 per serving.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment