These may be the first muffins I've made that I didn't like.
I made these thinking that I wouldn't really like them. Hoping, but thinking 'wow, these certainly sound... interesting, I hope they're good...' Mama Bird looked at the recipe and assured me that if I didn't like them, she'd eat them. So I decided to be brave and to try it. I like new food, right?
They don't even really look good.
I tried to like them, and I did eat two before I gave up and declared that they were all for Mama Bird. She did eat them all, to her credit, but I don't know how she did it. I'll be sticking to sweeter muffins from now on.
Recipe from Teaspot NYC.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat applesauce and dates over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is reduced to about 1.25 cups, or 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Transfer applesauce to bowl, and mix in bran, buttermilk, egg, honey, ginger, and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt, allspice, and 1/4 cup oats.
- After letting stand for 10 minutes, mix ingredients together.
- Transfer batter into muffin tins.
- Bake 20-23 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins, with 90 calories and $0.43 per serving.