I'm a recent college graduate, who's finally starting to learn to cook. At first it just started with an obsession with looking at the pretty pictures on TasteSpotting, but then I started actually clicking links and slowly started saving the recipes I saw. A lot of them had ingredients I had never even heard of. I didn't think I'd ever make any of them, but within a few days I had saved a hundred recipes. And as I looked through some of the names, I felt a little silly. Why had I saved these? I was no chef. I was most famous for cooking Hamburger Helper all through senior year of college.
And after a few days of glancing guiltily through the still-growing folder, I began to wonder how hard it could really be to cook something from it. There were some pretty simple dishes. Someone showed me A Year of Slow Cooking, and I fell in love with slow cookers. One day I caved and made her Mongolian Beef recipe. It had a ton of things I had never worked with,and some of the steps mystified me. Cover the beef in cornstarch? Why can't I just dump it in the slow cooker? It turned out deliciously.
I slowly got brave enough to cook other recipes, too. I decided I needed someone to track all of these new things, so I could look back the next time I wanted to make something and remember what exactly it was that I did, or laugh at the times I messed something up so badly that all I could do was laugh.
But that's why I started this blog, not actually any information about me. Instead of some boring paragraphs, here's a list of fifteen interesting facts about me.
- Despite majoring in computer science in college, I am terrible at math. I had to take Calculus II twice.
- I will listen to almost any type of music. And if I am alone in a car with the radio, I will sing to it.
- I tested as an ISFJ, but I think I may be closer to ESFJ. Don't tell Prehistoric Bird!
- Despite being allergic to cats, I rescued one outside my apartment in college. His name is Bailey.
- I have a very short temper.
- I accidentally hit my sister in the forehead with a golf club when I was six. She had to get six stitches, and I was inconsolable until she came home from the hospital and gave me a lollipop. I also hit a friend with a golf club in middle school, and swore to never pick one up again.
- I love video games, and play at least a few hours every week.
- I played soccer for ten years before switching to field hockey in high school. I like field hockey more now.
- I have a tattoo of the Hylian Shield on my right shoulder. I love Ocarina of Time more than any other game I have ever played.
- I am terrified of heights, and cannot watch other people handling knives or sharp objects. My friend also has a pet parakeet that scares me.
- I love reading, and typically read at least fifteen minutes every night before I sleep. It's usually closer to an hour.
- 'Bird' started out as an arbitrary nickname in high school that has somehow stuck. I've come to accept it, and sometimes I even think it's kind of cute.
- Since I grew up as a tomboy, my sudden interest in crochet, cross-stitching, and cooking has amused my family to no end. But they like the food so they don't tease me often.
- If all women are fated to become their mothers, then I could not be happier about my fate.
- I have never moved in my life, except the four years I lived on campus in college.