Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Muffins for... Dessert

When I took the first bite of these muffins, I was sort of concerned. They were... sweet. Not sugary, but definitely sweet. I got worried. I had been doing such a great job at staying away from sweets (let's pretend Easter candy doesn't exist for a moment, please.), and surely these would tempt me back over to the Sweet Side.

Let's also pretend that I haven't been wanting to make homemade Pop-Tarts for a long time.

But I was over-reacting. These are cornbread muffins; even sweet cornbread isn't sugary. So I happily munched on them for a few weeks, until I made an amazing discovery.



These muffins are delicious with jam on top. Strawberry is the best, trust me. Sadly, I discovered this information too late, as there were only two muffins left. So while these may not be the greatest for breakfast, they make amazing snacks. Heck, I'd eat this as a dessert. Just warm up the jam before you put it on. Or if you're me, get up in the middle of the game you were playing with your friends, go into the other room, and pretend they don't think you're crazy for taking pictures of a muffin.

Or you could just eat them for breakfast. Whatever you want, really.

Recipe from Cooking on the Side
(Makes 18 muffins, with 142 calories and $0.14 per muffin)

  • 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup corn meal
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1.25 cups milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
    1. Preheat oven to 350.
    2. Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
    3. Combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and butter in separate bowl and mix well.
    4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until well blended.
    5. Pour into muffin cups.
    6. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
    Today's lessons learned:
    • Muffins can be eaten for dessert. Just like their cousin the cupcake.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment