Friday, September 2, 2011

Pitas appear to be beyond me.

Aha, and ya'll thought I forgot about my mission to re-cook everything I ate in England, didn't you? The one I gave the ridiculously British-sounding name to? Well, I didn't forget at all!

I'm just bad at cooking things in a timely manner, it seems.

The original version of this dish came from the Jazz Cafe, and it was one of the things I was most looking forward to. And it turned out deliciously. Everything except the pita, which I attempted to make on my own. The bread tasted fine, but you know how pitas are supposed to have little pockets, for putting food inside...?

Mine were just sad and flat. I didn't even take a picture of it, because it made me so sad.

I did take a picture of the final product, though.



So many colors! If I had not made whole-wheat pitas, then maybe there would have been even more, but I appear to be obsessed with whole-wheat. I think that's a good thing, it makes me feel healthier.

These are really easy to make. Mixing together the tabbouleh and tzatziki can be day the day before, even, and the lamb patties only take minutes to throw together. It takes a while only to chop everything up by hand. I'm a horrendously slow food chopper, so it still took me about half an hour, but Mama Bird could have done it in probably 10. I guess that should be my next goal: improving my chopping skills...

Recipe from All About You
(Makes 8 servings, with 338 calories and $2.02 per serving)
Lamb Patties
  • 18 ounces ground lamb
  • 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    1. Mix all ingredients but olive oil in bowl until well combined.
    2. Shape into eight patties.
    3. Place on tray and chill in fridge for at least 15 minutes.
    4. Heat oil, and fry over medium to high heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side.
    5. Drain on kitchen towel.
    6. Serve with tabbouleh, pita, and tzatziki sauce.

    Tabbouleh
  • 2 ounces couscous
  • 2 ounces fresh parsley
  • 1 ounce fresh mint
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1. Put dry couscous in bowl and pour in 1/2 cup of hot water.
    2. Stir, then cover and let sit until water is absorbed.
    3. Fluff with fork, and add remaining ingredients. Chill before serving.

    Tzatziki Sauce
  • 1 cup greek yogurt
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 green onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon mint
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1. Peel and dice cucumber.
    2. Combine all ingredients and stir well.
    3. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.


    Today's lessons learned:
    • I chop things very slowly.
    • Pitas without pockets are a lot like naan.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment