Thursday, December 9, 2010

Spinach Stuffed Chicken

Last week, I went above and beyond the call of duty and planned a whole week of menus for my family, which was mostly just Mama Bird and I. I also went above and beyond the Call of Duty to fight Nazi Zombies, but that's hardly related. (We only survived to round twelve. I am not very good at fighting Nazi Zombies, apparently.)

One of the things I had planned on making last week was Broccoli Stuffed Chicken, not that I had any particular recipe picked out for it. It just sounded cool, and I wanted to try it. But Mama Bird pointed out we didn't have broccoli, just spinach, and both of us were too lazy to go to Giant to buy any. So we decided to make spinach stuffed chicken. It's got more alliteration to it, anyhow. And because I am brave and bold, I opted to not use a recipe. (Mama Bird advised me a lot. A lot.)

And it turned out pretty good! You can't tell from these pictures, as I'm a terrible photographer, but... use your imagination. They honestly weren't complicated: pound some chicken breasts so they're sort of flat, put cheese on them, and then put spinach on the cheese. Fold it, toothpick it, put bread crumbs on them if you do desire, and put em in the oven until they're done! Then eat. I'd advise you let them cool, but hey, what do I know.

I put pepper jack in mine, and Mama Bird got swiss, since she tells me I make things too spicy sometimes. I thought it was awesome with pepper jack, it gave it a little kick that it totally needed.

A not so artsy picture of them coming out of the oven. Notice the pool of melted cheese, breadcrumbs, and chicken juice in the middle. Poor planning on my part.


And this highlights the other problem I had with it: the folded end was just entirely chicken, no spinach. So I think next time I might mess around with cutting the chicken and trying to make a chicken sandwich. Yes, I know, not quite the idea, but it'd be interesting, wouldn't it? We'll see what happens.


Spinach Stuffed Chicken from the Bird
(Serves 2, approximately $4.93 per serving)
Ingredients
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 3 ounces baby spinach
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon onion flakes
  • 2 slices Pepperjack, or desired cheese
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

    Directions
    1. Boil or steam spinach.
    2. While spinach is cooking, flatten chicken breasts as much as possible.
    3. Place a piece of cheese on each breast.
    4. Remove spinach from pot or steamer, and mix with Italian seasoning and onion flakes.
    5. Spoon spinach onto cheese, and fold chicken breast over.
    6. Secure with toothpick.
    7. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top.
    8. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until done.

    Today's lessons learned:
    • 'Flatten chicken' does not mean do it until you're bored, it means flatten the chicken.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment